jueves, 3 de febrero de 2011

The Slow Uptake of Life's Goals (in Crownpoint, NM)

I have imagined myself keeping a blog since the beginning of my grand move to the wild west. I thought I could share this experience, teaching high school to Navajo students on the reservation in the Northwestern corner of New Mexico, with everyone back on the east coast. But I just didn't have it in me to sit and write about the stress of a day after struggling through it for 12 and 15 hour days. But now, 6 months, 1 semester of classes, 1 craigslist couch purchase, and 2 snow days later, I am finally ready.

I have had two snow days in a row now, and that apparently is enough rest and recuperation time to actually reflect and document some of what life is like out here. I won't try to retell everything I've lived for the last six months, but I'll make a list of a few standout moments/events/experiences/learnings since everyone likes lists and they are easy to swallow:

1. I work in a portable classroom completely disconnected from school: no PA system, no fire alarm, no bells. At first, i hated it. Now i love that no one can interrupt my class to make dumb announcements. It is a bit irritating that the bell doesn't ring though, I'm almost positive I always let my students out a minute early.

2. Every day I watch students eat "flamin' hot cheetos" and a red bull for breakfast. Yuck.

3. Speaking Spanish in the classroom as much as my teachers did is not easy when you are a native ENGLISH speaker. Is it bizarre that in an area with the highest percentage of Spanish speakers in the US, the Spanish teacher at Crownpoint High is a gringa? yes.

4. Having a student come to a class of 6 kids high makes for a very awkward, very disappointing, tear-inducing episode.

5. There is far more Christianity on this native american reservation than i ever would have guessed but it makes sense when I think about missionary movements and using it to force assimilate the native peoples.

6. In the city, when something is sub standard it is "ghetto." Out here, when things are such, they are "rezzy". For instance, the gym that my basketball girls practice in is referred to as the "outside gym" because it is unheated, has rats, holes in the ceiling and floor, and is made of asbestos. Initially I was inclined to refer to this gym as "ghetto" but now i understand that it is, instead, "rezzy".

7. Coaching basketball is the greatest choice I've made.

8. I have become a master at cooking mush for every meal which usually consists of quinoa or bulgar with veggies mixed in.

9. There is no reason why a 22 year old with no teaching certification should be hired to teach kids that are already being failed by a broken system, but thats what has happened and I am trying my hardest not to let them down any worse than they already have been. Recently a student told me about ordering food from a taco vendor in Spanish and it made me feel SO GOOD. They are learning!

10. The name of this blog and this post: So, I feel like for a long time and still sometimes I'm waiting for "real life" to begin. But at some point you just have to realize, THIS IS REAL LIFE. TODAY IS REAL LIFE. So stop wasting it. Do the things that are meaningful. Live in the moment. Soak it up. Sometimes, the things I want to do that are meaningful get put off because living is really treading water in a sweat-suit and I'm just trying to stay afloat. But now that I'm afloat and I have a stained couch with 2 recliners, I can finally get to goal 1--write a blog. Hopefully it wont require weekly double snow days in order to continue.

Thats all for now folks,

<3 Hatza (yes, all my students and colleagues refer to me by JUST my last name. The ones who I like a lot just call me Hatz. It's like a when dad was little story)

2 comentarios:

  1. Nik, I'm so excited for your blog--has a very positive feel! Glad that your students could order food in Spanish....hmmm...you'll have to share your secrets!!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. You are incredible! And this sounds so neat.

    I miss you.

    ResponderEliminar